Sunday, September 19, 2010

Toil and Trouble


I'm really beginning to take a shine to Delaware GOP Senate nominee Christine O'Donnell, and not just for the sheer entertainment value of her candidacy.


It's also because the naiveté in which she entered this race. From the AP...

"Another unfavorable decade-old television clip of tea party favorite Christine O'Donnell has emerged, this time with the Delaware GOP Senate candidate saying she "'dabbled in witchcraft.'"

You can't make it up...

"The most recent was aired by comedian Bill Maher, who dug up one of O'Donnell's appearances on his 'Politically Incorrect' show in 1999. The context of what led to her comments is not clear, and O'Donnell is laughing while she talks."

Laughing or cackling?

"'I dabbled into witchcraft. I never joined a coven,' she said. ' ... I hung around people who were doing these things. I'm not making this stuff up. I know what they told me they do,' she said."

See? She's not making it up. Ok, that's not so bad...

"'One of my first dates with a witch was on a satanic altar, and I didn't know it. I mean, there's little blood there and stuff like that," she said. "We went to a movie and then had a little midnight picnic on a satanic altar."

Touchdown!

"Maher said on 'Real Time with Bill Maher' that he has more clips of O'Donnell and will continue to air them until she appears on his show."

Is it possible to enter a high-profile senate race without realizing that these sort of things (by things I mean crazy person quotes) will surface? If not, it's refreshing to see a candidate that doesn't give a hoot about what parts of his or her past may become public. It's the issues that matter, dammit!

If so...Scary.

3 comments:

  1. I laughed so hard when I heard about the Satanic altar. On one hand I'd like for her to go on his show but on the other hand, I'd much prefer that he show more clips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So surreal...I think we're being had...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this will be an entertaining couple of weeks. Once the excitement wears off, we may not hear much about her...but for now, it sure is keeping me chuckling!

    ReplyDelete